Page 1 of 1
Did I destroy my CTS-V's shocks on those Mirdif construction roads?
Posted: Tue May 05, 2026 7:35 am
by keithmarsden
Been daily driving my 2017 CTS-V for a while now and it coped fine with most road surfaces until the endless construction rerouting started around Mirdif, and now every time I go over the temporary metal plates and patched sections the rear end feels like it skips sideways for a millisecond, almost like the back tires are losing contact. The ride quality's also gotten noticeably jittery on the highway, like a constant fidget through the seat that I didn't notice before. I'm trying to decide if it's the magnetic ride control acting up or if I've just physically damaged a shock, and I came across a page that offers
Cadillac Shock Absorber Service Dubai where they described exactly this kind of symptom on higher mileage V-Series cars and said it could be a leaking front strut or a worn rear bushing rather than a full magneride failure. Has anyone else's CTS or ATS developed this side skipping sensation over rough asphalt, and what did it actually turn out costing to fix? I just want to go in with some idea of what to expect so I don't get talked into a full suspension rebuild if it's something much simpler.
Re: Did I destroy my CTS-V's shocks on those Mirdif construction roads?
Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2026 11:28 pm
by yllekzan
Re: Did I destroy my CTS-V's shocks on those Mirdif construction roads?
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:42 am
by haydeewicking
That sideways skip over plates sounds more like a worn rear bushing or toe link than a dead shock. Shocks go bouncy, they don't usually kick the rear sideways. Get it on a lift and check the subframe bushings for play before anyone quotes you a full rebuild.
Re: Did I destroy my CTS-V's shocks on those Mirdif construction roads?
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:42 am
by hayfawiddicombe
Had a 2016 CTS-V with the same twitchy rear after a few months of bad roads. One magneride damper had gone soft and the car fidgeted on the highway just like you describe. Dealer wanted a fortune, an independent shop replaced the one corner for a fraction of that.
Re: Did I destroy my CTS-V's shocks on those Mirdif construction roads?
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:42 am
by hazelwightman
Metal plates are brutal on the V-Series, but I'd want proof it's the shocks before spending anything. Did any warning come up on the dash, like a service ride control message? And has anyone here actually used the shop he linked, or is that just a page he stumbled on?
Re: Did I destroy my CTS-V's shocks on those Mirdif construction roads?
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:43 am
by hazelynwigfall
Jittery highway ride plus a rear that steps out over uneven surfaces usually means a weeping damper or a tired rear toe link bushing. A scan tool can read the magneride damper codes and show if one corner is out of range. Also check tire pressures and the tread wear pattern, since cupped tires feel exactly like this.
Re: Did I destroy my CTS-V's shocks on those Mirdif construction roads?
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 5:43 am
by hediawigfull
Don't panic yet, Mirdif's patched roads wreck plenty of cars. Look for oil on the strut body and see if the car sits lower on one side. If both check out, you're likely looking at bushings, which cost way less than a full set of magnetic struts.